Tuesday 7 October 2014

AFRICOBlUES - Papa Appiah's "Suicide Note" -the album name changes again


Please don't blame me but the album name has changed once again. It was originally Songloba, but as a result of undue delays engineered by some self-centred individuals of which more later, the title track was dropped and a new set of songs were added to the list.


At the time, one of the new songs drafted unto the list "window love" seemed the perfect title song. Not only was the song catchy, I felt the title was also quite marketable. I continued to believe so till ia asked the designer of my album cover to change Songloba to Window Love.


Steve Lane, bless him, emailed asking for some enlightenment on the name "window love"


"Are you in love with windows or what?"


I was baffled. If that was the confusion the name was going to create, then it did not deserve to be a title of an album. An album title must not only be catchy, it's message must be clear to everybody. So I went back to the drawing table. There was an old track I'd records years back which I really had not released because I had not been satisfied with the final outcome.


With the help of my engineer Adam Ellis, we managed to load up this track again, and after the bass line had been changed, more backing vocals added and Terry Townson had given it the once over with his exquisite horn arrangement, it sounded like the best track on the album. So I changed the album name to "Old Tradition"


It remained "Old Tradition" till yet another track that was not going to make the album was resurrected and given the kiss of life. The track was called "Thank You". The track was cut from an over five minute song to three minute fifty five second song. The backing vocal was changed to reflect the mood of the song and the style of the lead singer. Once again, a once over by Terry Townson and his crew transformed the song.


But the title was so brand and did not really reflect the mood of the song;


When someday Im dead and gone,


Shed no tear for me


No mourning clothes nor song........


It sounded like a suicide note to a lover, thanking her for her love.


Well then, we changed the name to suicide note. And sounding now like the best song on the album, we changed the album name to "Suicide Note-An Africoblues Album." Check that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers